Age of consent


Dear thiadova:

Greetings. First, no child under the age of 18 has “the right” to decide. Of course, his opinion matters though. Now, mom has the right to take the child’s keys and restrict where he travels.

The bottom line is that your spouse needs to renegotiate the terms of the custody, by threatening to take her back to court and have her pay the remainder of the child support for the child. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband’s son just turned 17. The son’s mother is denying the child access to his father outside his visitation days. The son drives his own vehicle, but when his mother asks where he is going and the son replies “to see my father”, she takes his keys. Is there anyway the son can see more of his father without having to go to Court.
Also can the son sleep over his father’s house without his mother’s permission even though overnight visitation was not drafted in the Court documents 6 years ago?
Does the son have the right to choose to live with his father without going to Court?
Please help!
Thank you so much.