Alienation, contempt?

If you hae a court order and your spouse is not following it you can go to court and ask the Judge to enforce visitation. Enforcing visitation in these situations may sometimes do more harm that good. Going to court may not be the best way to resolve the underlying issues with your son. Is your son in family counseling, is that an option that may help repair your relationship with your son?

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I understand I can and am going to court for contempt…but inthe mean time I am missing valuable time with my son, including his birthday which was this past weekend. After he went to his school counselor and spoke of suicide becuase he was so upset with his Dad’s choice to change his school…for no good reason…and his pediatrician reccomemnded therapy, my ex got a child psychologist. As soon as the doctor started finding fault with my ex and how he handles our divorce situation…guess what, ex pulled him right out of therapy. I have not had a problem with my relationship with my son until my ex started showing him letters and emails that were from me to my ex. I do not understand how enforcing visitation would be more harm than good? I should just sit back and let my 13/14 year old decide what he wants…this is already the biggest problem with my ex…he lets our son do whatever he wants.

Can you put your son into counseling on your own? I would also ask the school counselor to talk to him so you can work on rebuilding the damage your ex has done.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My son has just turned 14. My ex lives 1 mile away from me. 3 times now when my son has gotten in trouble at my home during my court ordered visitation, he sneaks out of house, goes to ex’s and ex will not make him return to my home.I have rules and boundaries, my ex is rarely home and more into being a buddy than a Dad. Now I have learned my ex has been sharing letters and e mails with our 14 year old son…letters and e mails between my ex and I! My son in retalition wrote me a nasty, hateful letter about how much he hates me and never wants to come to my house again. Now on 2 pick ups my son has refused to come and my ex says he cannot make him visit, that it is not his responsibility so he lets our son make his own choice. I have always had a good, loving relationship with my son until this recently. I know I can file contempt, but what else can I do? The police told me they will not enforce my court order because it is a civil matter so they will not make my son come with me…they will only intervene if things become physically aggressive. How do I document this…my ex is not exactly withholding the child? Any options or advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks