Alienation of Affection

I believe the suit has to be on your behalf. The children can’t sue their mother for AofA.

You can only file on behalf or yourself and you do not need a lawyer to file. If you choose to go forward on your own behalf you will be expected to know all the rules that a lawyer does.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have read cases where the aggrieved spouse can proceed with the civil action of alienation of affection. I am the aggrieved party, as well as my children (both girls 8 & 4). Can I proceed with the civil action on behalf of my children or is this something that only I can do. Do I really need an attorney to file in civil court or is this something that I can do? Many thanks!

Jim G.