Alimony and time

I’m not sure of your question. Are you asking if the court will make a determination on how long alimony will last based on your facts and circumstances, the answer is yes.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Actually I was asking that since the case has taken so long to go to court on this issue, would that be a factor in receiving alimony/post separation support ? Proving a person needs this to substain their standard of living when 2 years have passed ?

Thank you

The court is going to be looking at date of separation values, but may also consider if there have been any changes in the level of support needed since the action was filed. If you have evidence that your spouses’s income has increased since the date of separation, or her needs are not as great as they were when she filed the action and her financial affidavit, it is definitely worth pursuing in court. That could affect a judge’s decision whether or not to award alimony how much to award, and for how long.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted because something finally happened, and I am now the proud owner of a divorce !
Unfortunately, this doesn’t settle other issues, as most of the folks who post and read here know.
Is time a factor in a spouse receiving alimony ? We separated in 2001, she still has the same job, received a fairly large settlement from a business that was sold during this time, and both of us now have appx. the same income and expenses. The only exception is I am still under a doctor’s care from an accident that happened early 2002.
Does a judge consider the ammount of time a factor in requesting alimony and/or post separation support ? This was in the divorce complaint, and is still under consideration.
Thank you for your time, still the best site on the web for info about divorce in NC.