My STBX is currently unemployed and looking for work. She stopped working as a consultant in January and hasn’t had any luck in finding either new consulting work or a permanent position (but I know she is looking). I have continued to support her as best I can since the separation in February but she has asked me to stop as she is quite proud and doesn’t want “charity” (note: I left her and no infidelity is involved on either side). I am not sure that she will ask for alimony (for the same reason), but I want to plan for it if needed.
My questions are as follows:
- Historically, she has made the same or more than I do. Would that be factored into the calculation or is based on current conditions?
- Should I work in an expectation to her that she find a job within a certain period of time which would then lower any amount of alimony?
- In the past, she has jumped ship on jobs before. Could alimony go up and down based on that?
- As we work towards a separation agreement, could any or all of the above be simply a part of negotiations between us and how we work it out?
- If a separation agreement is signed before the divorce filed for, does that negate the need for any court order?
Thanks for the help!