Alimony payments set to end per divorce agreement 12/22

My alimony payments to my ex-wife are set to end per my divorce agreement on 12/22 (with no chance of renewal). What steps should I take when the end date arrives? Do I need to notify the court or file papers? Or do I just stop payments to my ex-wife when the end date arrives?

If your separation agreement or court order states that alimony terminates upon the completion of the alimony term, then there is nothing you need to do unless otherwise stated in your separation agreement or court order. You can simply stop making the payments after the last one.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.