Alimony Question ASAP

My wife and I of 22 years are facing a divorce. Her annual income is $68K and mine is $61K. She is asking for me to pay her alimony of $400 a month due to me abandoning the home and marital misconduct (which she has no proof of). My question is I will be paying $900 a month in child support so how can I also afford to pay another $400 to her when she makes more money than I do? We bring home basically the same thing each pay period because she has all of our family insurance coming out of her check.

Your wife may not be eligible to receive alimony from you. In order for her to receive alimony from you, you would have to be the supporting spouse and she would have to be the dependent spouse. The supporting spouse is the spouse that provided financial support during the marriage. The dependent spouse is the spouse that is actually substantially dependent on the other spouse for their maintenance and support. Without a dependent spouse and supporting spouse, there cannot be an alimony award without both parties’ consent.

Check out our detailed article Will You Owe Your Spouse Alimony After a Divorce? for more information.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.