Alimony termination for romantic cohabitation

I am currently paying alimony and my divorce decree had several events that would terminate the monthly alimony payments: wife’s or husband’s death; wife’s Remarriage; wife’s romantic cohabitation with an unrelated male for greater than 6 months; or agreed end date. It appears that my ex-wife has been living with her boyfriend for greater than 6 months. I have been continuing to make alimony payments as scheduled per month and I haven’t said anything yet about the cohabitation. I noticed that my ex-wife’s boyfriend changed his voting records (address) to my ex-wife’s residence for well over a year, which the agency confirmed the address change and the date the change was effective. Do I need to provide more evidence to establish cohabitation than the confirmed address change via the voting records agency? If so, what evidence would I need to acquire to terminate the alimony per the divorce decree for cohabitation? Do I need to hire a private investigator to help establish ex-wife’s boyfriend residency beyond the voting records address change. Ex-wife hasn’t said anything about this matter.

Voting records will be very good evidence, and anything else that shows how you know that your ex-wife is cohabitating with an unrelated male for more than 6 months. A PI can be very beneficial in order to have evidence that has been legally obtained.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.