You can have the alimony arrearage reduced to judgment and the judgment will become a lien against his home. You can also obtain a judgment for the attorney fees you incur in having him held in contempt for non-payment. Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My X husband was ordered by court to pay alimony of $400.00 a month for four years. He is over a year behind on the last 5 payments. Can I put a lien on his home? How do I go about doing that in Gaston County? I cannot afford to take him to court for the rest…and if I do, the lawyer will end up getting most of it. Are there any other options? He said I will have to take him to court to see the rest of my money. He refuses to pay it. Thank you for your time.