If you don’t pay you could be held in contempt of court, if you are found in contempt you could be put in jail. You can appeal the order, but you must do so within ten days after the entry of the order. In order to be successful on appeal you must prove that the trial court abused its discretion in awarding that amount of alimony.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m a 25 year old female. I got married @ 16 yrs of age, my husband was 18. I was married for 4 1/2 yrs. We did not have any children and I left because of his drug problem. (he’s been convicted of misdemeanors and gone to jail for the same) I left our house, furniture, and packed what I could in my car. During our marriage I obtained an associates degree in Nursing. I got scholarships and financial aid and also worked during my schooling. He also worked during our marriage. As soon as I left him (8 months into my career) he filed for post-separation support. The judge finally ruled (3 yrs later) that I’m to pay him 300.00/month for 4 yrs. I’m not sure my lawyer had much expertise in this area. Should I spend more money on an appeal and what’s the best way I should go about finding an alternate lawyer with experience?? I’m from a small town and don’t understand the appeal process. What happens if I don’t pay??

Nichole Lee