Amicable Temporary Custody Modification


Currently we have a temporary order in which we would like to modify. We would like to modify the custody schedule which is currently 50/50 time sharing. The order would give main custody to the father with the mother having visitation for 2 weekends a month. The change is based on many variables including environmental, location opportunities and desire of the child. Both parents agree that the arrangement is more beneficial for the child.

Is this something that can be changed via a simple motion for custody modification and then we would be able to access court mediators for the agreement as we did in the beginning or does it have to go through other means since there is a temp order in place?

Since you and the other parent agree that the proposed schedule is in the child’s best interest, you can consent to the entry of a new order and make it a permanent order, which would override the temporary order. You will likely not be able to modify a temporary order.

It is possible that you and the other parent can return to custody mediation and agree to the new terms in mediation. The mediator will draft a Parenting Agreement which becomes a court order for permanent custody.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.