C/S Modifications

Currently I have 50/50 legal and physical custody of my children. They reside with me every other week. Due to circumstances that have been occurring with the mother I would like to petition to change the order so I have them every week, she has them on the weekends and during the summer she can have them 3 weeks. I am a bit confused here on a couple of things;

1. Being that this went through mediation, do I contact the mediator and let that individual know the issues and circumstances for the changes to get this process started?
  2. If one of the children keep the 50/50 and the other do the every week with me, weekends with her what NC child-support worksheet is utilized?
  3. We now live in a different county from when the original parenting plan was filed, does it stay in the other county or should I petition in the new county?
  4. Being that the children would like to stay with me due to the circumstances and they are at an age for their concerns to be heard, will a mediator assign a representative to the children or is that only if it goes in front of a judge?
  1. Assuming you have a court order (or parenting agreement that was filed with the court and signed by the judge) which is not a temporary court order, then you will have to file a motion to modify custody based on a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor children. Once you have filed the motion, you can contact the custody mediator’s office about a new mediation session.

2. You would use Worksheet B.

(3) Assuming you do not have a temporary court order or parenting agreement, then you would need to file your motion to modify in the original county as well as a motion to change venue to the county in which both you and the mother now reside.

(4) A mediator will not assign a representative for the children. A mediator’s only goal is to resolve the custody dispute between Mom and Dad. A judge could appoint a guardian ad litem or child advocate for the children.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.