Even if there is no birth certificate he may have legally changed his name to the alias that he currently uses. If he did marry you with a name that he is not legally using then additional research would need to be done to prove that this is grounds for an annullment. The best thing for you to do is to consult with an attorney to discuss your specific options.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Help! I was just married in December of 2007, and my husband and I separated in February of 2008, after I learned that he was one big fat liar. He had told me prior to marriage that he was 30 years old. After being married, I came across his ID, which I had mistook for a Driver’s license(another lie) and learned that he would be 28 if that ID were correct. When I asked my husband about this, he told me that he had had this fake ID created to avoid legal trouble, never giving me full details, other than a friend of his was murdered and he would have gone to jail. Anyway, I maintained the ID, and sent it to the state in which he was born, along with his mother’s maiden name, and his father’s name, and his social security number to request a birth certifite. The information I received back from New Jersey, which is sealed by the state of New Jersey states that no record of the event of his birth was found meaning that (1) the event did not occur on the date which was stated.(2)The report was made under a different name. This is the information used to file our marriage certificate, meaning that he falsified information on the birth certificate. How do I go about proving that there is no marriage? What are the procedures for this?
Thanks for any assistance you can give.