Another life insurance question

Unfortunately, life insurance is something you can only get through negotiation. The child support statute does not authorize the court to order this.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

As per previous post husband cashed in life insurance to pay for a new home when he separated. He was ordered by the court to may spousal support, child support and to continue paying the mortgage on the marital home. He had a second life insurance policy in which he recently changed the beneficiary to his girl friend and our adult child (50/50)Will not be separated for a year until Nov. Going through ED now and will must likely have to go to litigation as he is not fair with any settlement.

Question - can the court make him have a life insurance policy naming me and/or his 3 minor children as beneficiaries to insure that the children’s home and their support is taken care of in the case of his death if he were to die prior to them reaching the age of majority or is this something that can only be negotiated as part of a settlement? Not wishing him any bad luck, but he is the supporting spouse and if he were to die (hopefully not) tomorrow his girlfriend would get half of an insurance policy and myself and his 3 minor children would be left with all the debts.