Life insurance

The purpose of life insurance is to provide for the spouse who will be financially harmed by the death of one spouse. As the dependent spouse you are not generally asked or required to carry life insurance.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

After a divorce, will it be required of the dependent spouse to carry life insurance on themselves. Not that I want to be careless, but I am trying to trim my budget. Currently I have a whole life for 250K with a yearly premium of 2K. I would like to get a more inexpensive policy. I am trying to not have any debts. My children (minor ones) would be cared for by their father and he would have the funds to take care of them if something happened to me. If I get a much smaller policy, do I have my oldest child who is over 18 to be the beneficiary or would my ex husband have to be named that as long as we have minor children at home. I have joint legal, sole physical custody.

I have read that usually the father (or the spouse who pays the child support) has to have an insurance policy with the mother listed as the beneficiary so in the case of his death, his policy would be used to help with child support. Is this correct?

Just wondering. I am thinking of cashing in my whole life bc I need the funds and getting the minimal policy suggested by the courts.