Assets

You are entitled to equitable distribution (ED) of all assets/debts. If he has put stuff in his parents’ names to hide it from you, unfortunately, the burden of proving that he did so to cheat you of ED is on you.

As far as the RV goes, yeah, it’ll probably be a fight, but by rights you own part of it. However, since you’ve been awarded the house, they are more likely to give him full “custody” of the motorhome.

I agree. The courts would see this as a vehicle so there would have to be a division for this. But the bargaining chip is the marital home and any equity that may have to be paid out from that…

ED is based on marital assets at the time of separation so it would do him no good to try to put the motorhome in his parents name now, but the drawback of that is that he would have to give you 1/2 the money from the “sale” of it. Which could be $2…

The court doesn’t usually order the parties to share an asset, it is likely the court will be distributed to one or the other of you. If you can prove he put assets into the name of your parents without your permission, then the court can use this as evidence that these items are marital property.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My spouse and I have several assets. I have been awarded the house (temporary I assume) and we have a motorhome. He has hidden this on me, but takes it on trips with his new gf. I would also like to use it since it is half mine and in my name. Does he have to produce where he has taken it to or is this more than likely going to be a huge battle? He has also been known to put items in his parents name during our marriage that he had led me to believe he was buying and were ours? How does that come in to play when he puts it in parents name?