Assumption of Child Support by North Carolina

Dear pf99:

Greetings. If you stepdaughter and the minor child both live here, jurisdiction may be transferred here after six months. What you will need to do is have the order registered here in North Carolina and then file a Motion to Modify the Child Support. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My stepdaughter was ordered to pay a ridiculous amount (not in line with the NC calculation) of child support by a court in the State of Nevada (July 2003). I was told that at some point in time North Carolina will assume jurisdiction of the child support and she can go to court here in North Carolina and file a motion to reduce child support.

True? if so how long does it take before North Carolina will assume jurisdiction. She is current on all child support at this time but she is having to borrow the money from family members as she is raising another child and not getting support for her.