Child's Home State Question

If the two of you can reach an agreement you can execute a new court order which will set out the schedule. If you cannot reach an agreement you will need to have jurisdiction over this case transferred to North Carolina and then file a motion to modify custody. Jurisdiction is appropriate in NC because the children have been here for six months, but FL has to decline jurisdiction before NC will proceed.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I moved to NC from FL in August '07. I had an existing custody agreement with my child’s father which was court ordered in the state of Fl. The agreement stated that if I were to move I needed to give my child’s father 30 days notice. I provided him 90 days notice and he did not ask to amend the agreement or seek to make me stay. I am now married and my child lives with my husband and me. He attends school here, and he sees still sees his father (who still lices in FL). But that is predominantly on holidays and school breaks, and my child spends the greatest majority of his time here. The problem is the existing agreement states my child’s father and I would split up custody 50/50. Now that we live in different states this is not possible. So my question is, what steps do should be taken to put into a place a new agreement, and if my child’s father and I have difficulties coming to an agreement, can I seek custody in the NC Courts (ie is this now his home state?)