Transfer child custody from another state

I was divorced in another state about a year ago and have been living in North Carolina with my child for three years (it was a long divorce). Our separation agreement had a detailed visitation plan for a young child and now that my child is older the plan is very vague. I feel it is time to start investigating how to get any custody issues heard in NC instead of the state where the divorce occured. I am assuming that NC would have jurisdication since my child has lived in this state well beyond six months.

Please tell me the steps that would need to be taken in order to move custody matters post divorce to NC. Am I correct that I would need to start the transfer process in NC and not state where the divorce proceeding were held? Also, can you give any sort of time frame for how long this process would take.