Attempt to serve


$300!?!?!?!?!? Dang! I didn’t realize it was so much! [:0]


Is there anyone at the relative


I am at my last resort to track down ex and really need to resolve.


I understand, best of luck!

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I have been seperated from wife for ten years, filed for divorce in Nov/08. I have attempted to serve at three known addressess through certified mail and sheriff. My ex and I dont have kids or property. I filed in Guilford County.

The first address was served by sheriff failed due to them not being able to find Apartment Unit. I found the apartment unit and went back to courthouse to serve with correct address by certified mail. Should I serve by sheriff again? As of right now, the certified mail was attempted and waiting for individual to pick up at post office.

Second address certified mail failed to deliver. Second address is in another county and it is a relative. I found out ex does not live there.

Third address certified mail failed to deliver.

Should I go ahead and serve by publication?

If I serve by publication is there any loop holes I need to be aware of? I have contacted the legal department at the Newspaper and they only ask for filing number for divorce. Is there anything I should know before shelling out 300 to serve by publication. I have kept a copy of all my attempts.