Bed & Board

The main reason that it takes time is because of the time and effort involved with an attorney preparing for this hearing. Also, it generally takes about six months for there to be enough time on the court calendar for the case to be heard.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

So if you do not have an attorney and are able to write the Complaint and prepare the other docs yourself and have the STBX served then it is only time consuming right? Or is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to have an attorney?
I have the complaint done and I am going to go for a consultation for an attorney to review the docs but I have no intention of having him represent me. Is it mandatory with this type of situation to have an attorney or is it ok to represent myself?

Maureen Wallace

You can represent yourself. There is no requirement that you have an attorney.

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Chief Executive Officer
Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
Rosen.com
(919)787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I just wanted to know what makes a divorce from Bed and Board time consuming and expensive? Is it lack of preparation of client or is there multiple court dates?

Marilyn Edwards