Bigamy/divorce

Dear samiewhat75:

Greetings. When was your date of separation? Are there any alimony or equitable distribution issues?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If you are legally separated you can remove your husband from your car insurance policy. I did just that back in September.

No there are no seperation papers. The time I moved out and got my own place of living was March 2004. There is no court order for alimony nor equitable distribution issues. I have no idea where he is and no one can find him. We have three kids together and no child support ordered. Now what do I do?

In order to divorce your spouse in North Carolina, you must have lived separate and apart for one year. Although you cannot locate your husband, there are still ways to achieve service upon him, such as by publication, but the rules governing service can be quite tricky. It sounds like your financial situation is difficult, but if possible you need an attorney to help you through this when the time comes in March. You will also need to preserve your claims for equitable distribution and alimony, as they will terminate upon entry of divorce. You might also contact North Carolina Child Support Enforcement Agency, and inquire about assistance in obtaining child support.

Good luck to you.

Meg Miller
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

A year seperation even if he’s married to two chicks?

Dear samiewhat75:

Greetings. You may be able to get an annulment, but a divorce would be cheaper. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

I need help. My husband went and married another women. We are legally married. I dont know how to get a divorce nor do I have money to pay for one. The law enforcement and child support agency can not find him. I cant find him, his credit his horrible not to mention that his drivers license is refolked and I can not take him off my policy because he is my husband. What can I do? How can I divorce? I need help.
Sincerly,
Robin