Both of us left NC - where to follow up post divorce, ex is military (army)?

I have an ex who is still in the military, we divorced while stationed in NC. We both now live in states outside of NC. Would I file a petition to revisit alimony in NC even though I no longer live there? I have been told my current state of residence does not have alimony and is not friendly to the dependant spouse. Thank you in advance!

North Carolina will not be the proper state for you to file an action because you are not a resident of North Carolina. For marital issues, you must have been a resident of North Carolina for at least six months in order to file a court action. Furthermore, you would not be able to file a new alimony action since you are now divorced. However, if you want to modify an alimony award and cannot register your order for enforcement and modification in your current state of residence, you may be able to file a modification in North Carolina under the original file number.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.