Broken Engagement

I should also state that I live in NC and he lives in SC.

Just my personal opinion, but the ring is a gift and need not be returned unless you want to. I doubt you’ll get a lot if you sell it. Ruining your reputation is just a guilt trip. I don’t see how he could ruin your reputation unless you allow him to make you think that. Real friends know the truth about you…to hell with the rest.

An engagement ring is a gift given in contemplation of marriage, if the marriage does not take place, the ring should be returned. However, in this case he has told you that you can keep it. It would be safest if you could get something from him in writing to confirm this, if you cannot, keep the voicemail in case it does become an issue in the future. If you have one of those two things, you can safely sell the ring.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If the ring isn’t valued more than what he owes you, you can sue him in small claims court. Just make sure you get a recording or something in writing where it states he owes you and how much. Also, if he does spread runors about you, that is slander. If it causes you harm and it is not true, you can sue him for that too.

My fiance and I were engaged for 6 months. He proposed to me on a trip he took me on for my birthday. He broke off the engagement 6 months later. At that time and currently he owes me a lot of money. I told him I would return the ring when he pays me back the money I am owed from a loan I granted him. After trying to finalize this for close to a year, he told me last week in a voicemail that if it wasn’t finalized by that Friday, I could sell the ring. He did not finalize and pay me back on that Friday. If I sell the ring to make up for the money he owes me, can he sue me a later date because I did not return the ring? He is also making verbal threats to “ruin my reputation” with my family and friends. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!