Buying a house

Your spouse could sign a free trader agreement, this will allow you to purchase property in your own name.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Helena Nevicosi[/i] [br]Your spouse could sign a free trader agreement, this will allow you to purchase property in your own name.

Can you tell me more about this document? I’m not familiar.

This is an agreement that allows you both to contract as if you are not married. It is recorded with the register of deeds and allows you to purchase property in your own name.

Your separation agreement may already include these terms, you may want to review the agreement with an attorney, or contract the attorney who drafted it and see if this issue has already been addressed.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Would an attorney need to draw up this document? Or is this a document I could find somewhere?

I do not know of anywhere you can find it online, generally you need an attorney to draft this document.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

I am considering buying a house and my spouse and I have been separated for several years without any written agreements. Sinc eit hasd been several years, do we need a Free Trader Agreement drawn up before either of us buys real property or does the several years of separation have an effect on this?

Thanks!

John,

If you are still legally married you would need a free trader agreement or a divorce decree. However, this may differ from state to state.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

My STBX and I have a separation agreement signed and are simply waiting out this mandatory 12 month period to get a divorce. In the meantime, I am paying obscene amounts of rent and would very much like to purchase a house/condo … but I’ve always heard that buying any real property during the waiting period (before divorce) gives my STBX rights to it. True?

Is there any sort of legal document that could be drawn up for him to sign to give up rights to any property I were to purchase? I’ve got another 6 months to wait and renting is wrecking havoc on my good sense.

Thank you!