Buying a Home

I am not sure of the legal aspect, but from a self protection one I’d say you’d need to get a free trader agreement; the settlement is just a guideline until the divorce is final. When I was transfering land I bought after the seperation but before the divorce the lawyer asked for a copy of the seperation agreement which included the free trader clause. Best bet is to talk to the lawyer handling the closing.

Dear rochtodur:

Greetings. I don’t know what your agreement contains so I cannot answer this. If the agreement contains the correct language then yes. If not, then no. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

if I have a Marital Settlement Agreement that my spouse and I have signed (done ourselves and notarized) - then can I buy a home on my own? Or do I have to wait for the divorce to be final? Would he have to sign off on any paperwork? Thank you for your assistance.