Free trade agreement


Dear sicily615:

Greetings. You need to speak with an attorney directly before you sign any such agreement. Yes, you may be entitled to some of the proceeds, especially if he was paying for the mortgage on the home from marital funds. I would suggest that you not sign the agreement until you clearly understand your negotiating position, what you want, what you can get, and have a clear plan for how to obtain the same. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband and I separated in February. His lawyer has recently sent me a Free Trade Agreement for me to sign stating that since we are legally married and have not entered into a separation agreement he is requesting that I sign this free trader agreement so that my husband can purchase a home. I also know that my husband is selling the house that we lived in as well–he bought this property before we were married. If he sells the property am I entitled to any of the revenues? Should I sign this agreement?