Buying a new house


Get a seperation agreement giving you the right to contract as if you are not married and holding your STBX harmless for the debt.



Dear mcool_e:

Greetings. All property purchased while married is presumed marital, and how does anyone that is not living in your house know if you are separated or not? Get a free trader agreement or separation agreement first. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am in the process of getting a seperation and would like to buy a house. If the house is only in my name, would this be something he could take away from me when we get our divorce finalized?