California Resident Received Civil Summons and Complaint from spouse Living in NC


My spouse filed a complaint in NC civil court where I previously resided with him. I received the Summons and Complaint where the Plaintiff is requesting divorce from bed and board by mail. He still lives in NC. I have been in California for over one year. I’d like to check the progress on this case to see if any default judgment has been entered., I never answered the complaint because I do not believe the NC Court has Personal Jurisdiction over me as we only lived in NC for one year and were married in California where we lived for three years before moving there. I do not think it would be fair to have me defend a divorce action from California where the majority of our marriage took place.


NC will have subject matter jurisdiction if your spouse has lived in NC for the 6 months prior to filing the court action. NC likely has personal jurisdiction as well.

If you have not received any paperwork at the address in which you were served, then most likely no court dates have been set and no orders or judgments have been entered. The clerk of court’s office in the county in which the action was filed will have all of that information.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


Thank You! I will check with the court clerk by phone or mail. Our court systems and websites are very different.