Answer to Complaint

If she wishes to reconcile she could dismiss the pending litigation. You could also file a motion to extend time and that will give you an additonal thirty days to file your answer.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I’m the defendant in a civil summons issued to me by my spouse. The summons was delivered on 31 OCT 07. We (me & spouse) are seeking to reconcile through marriage counseling. What effect does that have on my requirement to respond to the summons? It is my understanding that I have to respond within 30 days. If she truly wants to reconcile and requests to do so with her attorney, is there some type of paperwork they must give to me so that I don’t have to respond to the summons? I have not consulted an attorney because I don’t want to spend the money if we are going to work things out, however, I want to make sure that I’m covered in the event it doesn’t work out. Can I respond to the summons myself without an attorney, is there a certain form or format the answer must be in, and who do I send the response to? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.