Can he take my property

Did you have an agreement about the retirement fund stating that this was purchased and given to you?

I do not think that this would be divisible. I think that it would be considered separate property since it was purchased after the date of separation and since it was put in your name when purchased…I could be wrong though. I think a camper is considered a vehicle since there’s a title instead of a deed. If this were a home/residence with a deed, neither of you would have been able to purchase without the other’s permission.

Property purchased during the marriage is marital property. However, if you were legally separated and your husband did not use marital funds to purchase the camper, it might be considered his property. Since he put it in your name, then it might be considered a gift to you. You have to remember: The law is a funny thing and judges and lawyers can spin, spin, spin. All over this forum I’ve heard about free trader agreements in order to buy a house during the separation. My ex bought a house five months after we separated. I never signed a free trader agreement and never received an answer from ANY attorney on how this happened. His house never entered the big picture at all. Never addressed and never answered. Good luck.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by stepmother[/i] [br]Did you have an agreement about the retirement fund stating that this was purchased and given to you?

I do not think that this would be divisible. I think that it would be considered separate property since it was purchased after the date of separation and since it was put in your name when purchased…I could be wrong though. I think a camper is considered a vehicle since there’s a title instead of a deed. If this were a home/residence with a deed, neither of you would have been able to purchase without the other’s permission.

If he purchased the camper for you using marital funds then it was a marital assets no matter whose name it was titled in. When you sold the camper and used the money to buy a home, then the home has a martial component and that would be subject to division when you divide your assets in equitable distribution.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

We were already separated at the time he purchased the camper and put in my name, so he used his money. I think the reason he bought this camper and put in my name was so I wouldn’t come after his retirement when we divorce. I am renting a home, I did not buy one. Thanks for your help with this. H e really thinks that he can make me give him half of the proceeds from this camper that he bought and put in my name, I say he cannot since it was a gift. Marlene

I left my ex-husband one year ago and moved to SC, three months after I left him he bought a camper ($22,000) and put it in my name saying he did not want to be bothered with it as far as the taxes and insurance was concerned so he put it in my name, I was living in it at the time in a campground. I have since sold it and moved into a house, now he says he wants his money back and a divorce and says his lawyer can get the money from me. It was never in his name and he gave it to me so I would not come after his retirement. Can I be forced to give it back, he says it is property obtained while we were married, although we were separated at the time and still are and now eligIble for a divorce. MB