Can husband sue me?

You husband can sue you for Equitable Distribution. ED for short. This means he will want to divide half of all marital assets. That includes debt which is a negative asset. Take all positive assets and take all negative assets and add them up. Divide by 2 and that is what he (and you) will get if you fight it out. That includes any retirement funds that you have accumulated during the marriage.

Your mother-in-law cannot sue you for anything.

The management company can’t evict somebody that isn’t there. Right? If you pay all fees and penalties etc what can they do? Now if husband and MIL are still there they will get evicted.

If you leave at the end of the lease and they refuse to do so I am not sure what the management company will do, you would need to consult with a property lawyer to find out what the law is in this situation.

If your husband does not work he may be able to file a claim against you for alimony and equitable distribution. Once you separate all of the property accumulated during your marriage will need to be divided equally.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband won’t work and I can’t afford to pay the rent much longer. I want to tell him if he doesn’t get a job (and keep it), he and his mother need to move out. She doesn’t work but she pays the utilities with some of her Social Security.

The lease on the house is only in my name, obtained after we were married and he and she are listed as occupants. The car is in her name and the registration has not been changed over to our state, and neither one have changed their driver license to reflect our state either. I contancted the managment company and said we may need to terminate the lease after next month which I understand comes with fees which I will pay. But if husband and mother-in-law refuse to leave can they sue me? Or will the management do an eviction against me even if I move out on time?