Can I ever leave the state?

I am likely to leave my household with my child and begin divorce/custody proceedings soon. My husband will make this very hard on me “just for spite” (his words). Neither of us have any family in NC and all my family resides in VA. I know that I cannot leave NC without an intact custody agreement, but can my husband keep me from ever moving home? My family can help support me financially (and physically provide shelter for my daughter and I) until I can get on my feet. My family has been the only one to know and support my daughter all her life until 2 weeks ago when she met his family for the first time on a vacation (she is 2 1/2 now). Can the law really require me to stay in NC until my child turns 18? Please reply.

Whether the court allows you to move is based on the best interests of the child. If you are unable to reach an agreement with your husband that you are allowed to move, you will have to address it with the court in a child custody claim. You will have to show the court why allowing you to move away from the child’s father is in the child’s best interests.