Can she take my Abby


Dear Garry C:

Greetings. Unfortunately without a court order, yes, either parent may take a child. You should retain an attorney immediately and have them try to contact her and set up a temporary custodial schedule where you get to at least see the child until you can negotiate more. If she has left the state, my advice is to immediately file a custody action to get the child back to NC. Good luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I am as we speak. Thanks again Janet.


My wife left Saterday with my daughter of 4,She told me with the that she would be back later. She did not come back.She will not answer her cell phone when I call to talk with Abby. I finaly got her to answer. She would not tell me where they were. I would guess they are at her mom and dads.
We do not have a seperation agreement yet.

Can she keep my daughter from me?