Custody question and legality


Dear Cardman:

Greetings. Generally, she can go anywhere she choses, but she may not be able to take the child. If you do not want the child to leave North Carolina, you should immediately send her a letter refusing to let the child leave NC. You should keep a copy for yourself. Then, hire an attorney and see what agreements the two of you can make. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I may possibly be filing for divorce. My biggest fear is that my spouse will leave NC and go to New Jersey to be closer to family. If this happens she would also try to take our son. Can she do this legally ??