Can you answer this?

If your spouse is filing for divorce in North Carolina, then before attempting to serve you by publication, he would be required to show that he attempted service by certified mail at your last known address.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My sincere appreciation for your reply. Respectfully, lostlady

My spouse is pressuing me to sign a Separation and Property Settlement Agreement that I find unfair and, to be honest, offensive.> I have had three free consultations with attorneys in the state where I live and all three have told me to sign NOTHING and to try and obtain a NC attorney as it would be in my best interest.> My question: can my spouse divorce me by way of Public Notification even though he knows where I am, pays my rent, utilities and deposits several hundred dollars in my checking each mo. for groceries, etc.??> I check anywhere between 2 and 3 times a month with the county courthouse, Civil Div., to make sure papers havenot been filed.> I have wanted a divorce for quite some time, but a fair one. I just want my future to be a secure one as I am unable to work and he can well afford it.> He has met someone he wants to marry and I am happy for them both, but I will not sign an agreement that may have me living the role of a bag lady in the future, especially after living with him for more than half my life. Any legal advice would be gratefully appreciated. lostlady