Cannot locate husband


Dear Girbe:

Greetings. You must serve him by publication in the country where you last knew him to live. Hire an attorney to help you, as this will be a tricky process. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband abandoned me and left the country. I found an address and telephone number for him in another country, but repeated attempts to contact him via certified mail, regular mail, email, and phone calls have proved fruitless. I want to obtain a divorce ASAP. How can I do this (especially proving service of the complaint) if I can’t find him?