Can't find him

Your lawyer representing you in the divorce should be able to answer your questions about service. I suggest that you submit your questions in writing and insist on a response. Ask specifically about service by publication, which is permitted when serrvice on the party at his or her last known address has been attempted and has failed. If a debt is in both names, then either one of you could be held responsible by the creditor for the full amount. If you have not had marital property and debts divided by written/signed/notarized agreement or by court order prior to judgment of divorce, you will lose your legal right to do so.

Lara Stanford Davis
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I got a lawyer to do my divorce but it’s been 2 months and he has not been served yet. They told me that the sheriff’s office can’t find him either, and when I ask them what the next step is they tell me they will get back to me. What should me my next step?
Also, I didn’t go into splitting up the bills that we owe I just thought I would take care of everything that was in my name, but I would like to know that if I pay half of what is in both our names would I still be liable for his half?

Lisa Glenn