Celebrating my Separation

Dear Train Wreck:

Greetings. If you purchase property after the DOS (date of separation), that property is separate UNLESS you purchase the property with funds earned during the marriage. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am recently legally separated. To help me feel a little better I wanna go buy a $100,000 sports car or invest in another business.

Does “legal separation” mean what I acquire/accumulate post LS is not considered joint property in a divorce? Thereby excluding it from equitable distribution? My soon to be ex and I have only been married 9 months…

No one makes you inferior without your permission. - Eleanor Roosevelt