Change custody agreement

Dear wasonce:

Greetings. I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. Changing from joint custody to sole custody simply means changing who makes decisions for the children. If you mean that you want to change the schedule of visitation for the children, then you will need to amend your agreement.

It depends on what your agreement says about amendments. You need to have your agreement reviewed by an attorney to assist you with determining how you can amend the agreement. Also, be sure that you understand whether or not child support will change. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Me and my wife separated in 95 and have a joint custody agreement for
all of the three children. Basically the agreement states with who the children’s primary residence is and how much the support payments are.

We have since divorced in 01 and both of us would now like to change the agreement to remove the joint custody clause and replace it with sole custody to the parent the child resides with. My question is what is the process to change the custody order and what papers are needed, or is it better to have a lawyer handle this.