Change in Financial Circumstances

I think one thing a judge would consider (if it got to court) was “was your income lowered because of bad faith on your part”, or was your change in jobs (and lowered salaryy not under your control)

Either way, if she is now working, then that should show a change of circumstance enought to warrant another look at the calculations. I don’t think the new hubby’s income comes into play with your support.

Since both your incomes have changed 15% or more, you can have child support modified to reflect current circumestances. Her new husband’s income is not included unless they have a child together. If that is the case, then she can also include that child as another responsibility on her part which really would only serve to lower her portion of the child support.
Run the calculator on the home site. If you had an agreement for child support it can be renegotiated. If it was a court ordered amount, you will have to file for modifications based on changed circumstances. As tarheel1212 mentioned, if the decrease in your income was due to your own choice, then it may be that the child support would not be lowered.

It appears from the facts that child support can be recalculated. The court assumes there has been a change in circumstances every three years, it also appears that you have both had a 15% increase or decrease in income. If your income had declined but not because of bad faith, child support will likely be lowed. However your ex-wife’s Husband’s income will not be considered unless they have a child together.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Can Child Support be recalculated?
My ex-wife and I divorced several years ago. Since then, my income has fallen by 50%. She never worked before but now does, so her income had grown. There are 6 children. We have 50/50 custody of the 6 children.
In addition, she remarried (I did not). Her new husband is employed. Combined they now earn what I now currently earn.
Can I go back and have the child support recalculated to reflect the current circumstances?

Here’s a rough example: Income prior to the divorce: Father = $250,000, Mother = $0
Current Income: Father = $125,000, Mother = $40,000, Mother’s new Husband = $85,000.