Change of Court Date! Who's responsible

The motion for extension of time relates to the answer to the complaint, it does not affect the court date.

She may need to reset the court date if she needs to file a motion for summary judgment, I believe I explained the procedure in a previous post on this issue.

The new court date does not have to be 30 days from June 27th, it needs to be 15 days from the date that the motion for summary judgment is filed.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My friend just recieved a certified letter from her husbands attorney in which he requested a motion for extension of time to respond to her complaint for an Absolute Divorce and the Attorney’s request was granted by the Deputy Clerk of Superior Court. However, her court date was set for the 27th of June.


  1. How does she go about setting another court date or should the Defendant’s Attorney do this since they requested a motion for extension of time to respond.

  2. Or does she need to reset the new court date at the Clerk of Superior Court utilizing the Notice of Hearing and Calendar Request for Uncontested Self Help Divorce form?

  3. If she has to rest the Court Date does she count 30 days from her previous date of June 27th?

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated!!!