Changing a minor's name after other parent has filed an Injunction

What options do I have for motioning the court to allow a legal name change for my son when my ex and her family have filed an injunction that forces me to only call him by the name on his birth certificate.

Despite going to the hospital a few hours after his birth, I was told by the hospital staff that it wouldn’t be possible to change his name without the other parent’s consent. The paperwork had already been done by the mother and her family immediately after he was born and they kept all details of the birth from me.

I was unable to find anything on to answer whether this can be done.

To change a minor child’s name, both parents must consent to it. Such a name change is handled by the clerk of court rather than a judge.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.