Child Custody Question?

My ex wife and I have 50/50 (182/183 over nights) joint custody of our child in a written custodial agreement.

In the past couple of years I have been able to keep our child more than what has been agreed on in custodial agreement due to the ex wife going on business trips. I have had our child up to 190 to 192 over nights. Does that mean I automatically obtain full custody or does it have to be taken to court to obtain full custody?

You still have joint custody. Custody cannot automatically change. In order to change a custody arrangement in a separation agreement, you and your ex-wife would have to agree to modify the agreement pursuant to the amendment terms in the separation agreement, or one of you would have to file a custody action in court.

For child support purposes, joint custody is considered at least 123 overnights with each parent, and primary custody is considered at least 243 overnights with one parent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.