Child Custody with unmarried Parents

Hi! How do you handle a child custody when the parents are not married? The father is from NC, but the mother isn’t. The child was born and raised in NC. The concern is the child move away without any agreement.

Child custody is handled the same whether the parents are married or not married or have never been married. North Carolina would have jurisdiction assuming the child has resided in the State of North Carolina for at least the last 6 months.

A custody order would prevent the out-of-state parent from removing the child from the State of North Carolina. Instead, a court order would provide for specific visitation time with the out-of-state parent to take place either in North Carolina or in the state of the other parent’s residence, or a combination of both.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

This was very helpful. Thank you for explaining.