Child responsibility

Good day,
I was using your child support calculator and a section of the calculator (step 5) the question is asked if i am responsible for other children not of this relationship. If I have raised my step son since he was two and provided more than 50% of his support, hes on my health insurance plan and claimed on my taxes, can i claim him in this section.

You do not get credit for your step son unless you have adopted him.

A written agreement by a stepparent to support his or her minor stepchild must be

acknowledged by the stepparent before a notary public or other person authorized to administer

oaths. See Moyer v. Moyer, 122 N.C. App. 723, 471 S.E.2d 676 (1996). The liability of a

stepparent or other person standing in loco parentis for the support of a child is secondary to that

of the child’s parents. See Duffey v. Duffey, 113 N.C. App. 382, 438 S.E.2d 445 (1994).

could you explain this to please

The language you cite deals with the enforceability of a contract. The child support guidelines state that you may receive a credit for your natural child or a step child that you have adopted. Case law research and interpretation is beyond the scope of this forum.

which statute states you have to adopt your step child if im not mistaken its responsible for.,

The North Carolina Child Support Guidelines

I have researched those guidelines and i may have overlooked that part could you please be more specific

A parent’s financial responsibility (as determined below) for his or her natural or adopted children who currently reside with the parent (other than children for whom child support is being determined in the pending action) is deducted from the parent’s gross income. Use of this deduction is appropriate when a child support order is entered or modified, but may not be the sole basis for modifying an existing order.