Step Parent & Tuition

I do not believe that you are finacially responsible for the children. Since you have been a stepparent, depending on the length of marriage, you may offer to help out the child but it is the responsibility of the biological father to pay child support. If your stbx did not get child support then it may be still possible for her to…but that is not your responsibility either.

I would agree w/ stepmother. If you are close to the children you may want to talk w/ them individually once they graduate or are over 18 about giving them a financial gift to help towards college. Your (soon to be ex) wife should pursue this with the biological father, though in NC he is not obligated to pay support once the child has turned 18 and graduated from high school. It does not sound as though they have any sort of financial agreement addressing this within their divorce and separation agreement.

No, you are not responsible for support for your step child.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife and I are separating. She has 2 children from a previous marriage. The oldest one is in his first year of college. My wife wants me to pay for his college for the next 4 years and has not asked his biological father for any financial support. Since I did not legally adopt the children when we got married, am I finacially responsible for them after we divorce?