Child Support / Alimony

The only solution is to take it to the courts if you have sufficient cause for reduction. I would consult a lawyer. If she doesn’t agree to what you’ve asked, then you have no choice. You’re bound by your agreement until you have it modified-period. If you default, then you can get into trouble. If you haven’t gotten divorced yet, then address the issues at the same time.

If you have a Separation Agreement, you probably cannot modify alimony, unless the Agreement permits you to do so. If your income has changed 15% or more, you can file a lawsuit for child support and the court may reduce your obligation.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

In our separation papers, the combination of child support & alimony amounted to 35% of my salary. After a job change, this amount would now be for 59% of my salary. I have asked my ex-spouse for a reduction in child support & alimony for a total amounting to 42% of my current salary. She is not accepting this offer. Do you have a a suggestion?