Child Support and Days

If this is just an agreement between you then you can have it changed. If it is a court order then you can file to modify custody if there has been a 15% change in lifestyle, income or it has been 3 years…you would file for modification of child support based on the new agreed schedule.

If the number of overnights now exceeds 120 with father then it will likely be recalculated on Schedule B. If you file a modiciation this will likely be considered a substantial change in circumstances.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

In the agreed custody order it states the amount of child support and when the child is to be with the father. The order is a year and half old. Since the order, number of overnights have increased with the father. Can a modification of child support be done with the number of overnights changing? The change of overnights has been because of an agreed schedule set by both parents (went from every other weekend to a week and weekend a month and more time in the summer) Thanks.