Modifying the child support order

Change in wages is one of the reasons but it has to make more than a 15% difference. You will end up going to court.

Dear CORRIN2000:

Greetings. Yes, if his income changed significantly, it may be grounds for a modification of child support. If the child custody schedule is different, then yes, the court may apply worksheet A if the court allows your Motion to Modify Child Support. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

About a year and half ago, my ex and I completed a child support order. Since that time, his income has increased significantly.

Is this cause enough to get a modification for child support? (Prior to this order, he conveniently did not work very much, so that the actual amount of wages earned wasnt very high)

If this is cause enough, do I need to hire an attorney again?

The amount of days that the judge calculated on worksheet B was way too high. Can the new modification be changed to worksheet A?